Developing Reading Skills
You can buy this Course for $ 39 or try Demo first
About the course
New to TEFL/TESOL, Experienced
In this course, we are going to look at how to develop essential reading skills and help your learners become better readers.
This course will be useful for both new teachers and experienced teachers who are not familiar with the communicative methodology. It will also be useful for those who would like to explore essential reading skills and learn how to teach their learners to master them.
This course will help analyse typical problems and misconceptions that interfere with vital practising and development of reading skills, and how to deal with them.
We will also look at typical reading tasks in coursebooks, and how to introduce necessary reading strategies to your students.
Course Program (in Ukrainian)Download PDF
- Teaching English
- Lesson frameworks
What's in the course?
that help notice and discover features of different reading skills and essential reading strategies
on how to teach your students essential reading skills
Tips on how to deal with typical problems and misconceptions
connected with reading in English lessons
This course consists of integral units that should be done in a strict order. Within each unit, the tasks follow a strict order and should be done one by one.
What is reading?
Reading VS Literacy skills
Developing gist reading skills
Developing detailed reading skills
Monitoring reading online
Working with key words
Dealing with unknown words in the text
Typical problems and misconceptions connected with reading
During the course, you will learn to:
- Identify essential reading skills
- Understand the difference between reading and literacy skills
- Better understand coursebook reading tasks - what a typical task pattern is, and what skills each task practises
- Use basic strategies to help students master and practise essential reading skills
- Better understanding why students have problems with reading, identify and address these problems
- Understand what is worth and not worth doing in reading lessons
The skills you will learn:
- better understanding of coursebook reading tasks
- using basic strategies for developing essential reading skills in EFL/ESL learners
- identifying and addressing problems EFL/ESL learners face with reading
Based on the results of the final test you will get:
0–69% — Certificate of Attendance
70–89% — Certificate of Completion
90–100% — Certificate of Completion with Merit
Certificate will appear in your Profile.